Flooding along the St. John River in Maugerville, 23 April 2019 (5th Canadian Division/Facebook)
For the second year in a row, floodwaters from the St. John River have forced the closure of the Trans Canada Highway between Moncton and Fredericton.
The New Brunswick Department of Transportation says drivers must detour at the Oromocto exit or at the River Glade exit and travel through Saint John.
The detour will add approximately 90 kilometres in each direction.
River Watch officials say water levels in Saint John are expected to reach last year’s historic marks by Friday and while now receding in Fredericton, the water will likely rise again by this weekend.
Floodwaters along the St. John River peaked in Fredericton today and are expected to peak in Saint John by Friday.
While the flooding is significant, River Watch officials in New Brunswick say levels are not expected to surpass last year’s historic numbers.
The provincial government has called in the Canadian Armed Forces from CFB Gagetown to help with soldiers assisting with sandbagging, evacuations and wellness checks.
Many roads especially in the Fredericton region have also been closed due to floodwaters and it could be days before some can reopen.
(Top) Swollen St. John River, 02 May 2018,(Bottom) A more typical flow, 12 May 2016 (NASA Earth Observatory)
Water levels have dropped below flood stage in most areas of the St. John River in what has become the worst flooding event ever recorded in New Brunswick.
The Emergency Measures Organization says only in the Jemseg area will levels be just above flood stage.
The Trans Canada Highway between River Glade and Oromocto finally reopened Friday after being shut down for a week but dozens of roads remain closed due to flooding.
The Canadian Armed Forces has deployed 60 members to assist the provincial government with flood cleanup.
Almost 1,700 residents have registered with the Red Cross as evacuees and many who have returned home are finding heavy water damage to homes and cottages.
Members of the military go door to door in Lameque, NB, 31 Jan 2017 (JTFA/Twitter)
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces have been dispatched to the Acadian Peninsula to help in the cleanup following the recent ice storm.
Thousands are still without electricity in northeastern New Brunswick almost a week after the devastating storm.
About 200 members of the military are doing various tasks including going door to door in communities to check on residents who may still be in their homes.
NB Power describes this “crisis” event as being worse than Hurricane Arthur in 2014.